A.P. Seaman

Amos Peck Seaman
"The Grindstone King"

1788 – 1864

His main business interest was the manufacture of grindstones.
In 1847 over 33,000 grindstones were shipped from Cumberland County.



Photographs of
Plaque

Minudie
Cumberland County
Nova Scotia

GPS location:   45°46'28"N   64°20'24"W
Google map




Minudie: Amos Peck Seaman plaque

Photographed on 30 July 2003



Minudie: Amos Peck Seaman plaque
The plaque is mounted on a local grindstone set in the monument

Photographed on 30 July 2003



Minudie: Amos Peck Seaman plaque
"Steam mill" means a sawmill powered by a steam engine.
In the 1800s, there were many sawmills in Nova Scotia,
most (all, before Amos Seaman's mill) powered by water.
As late as the 1940s, most sawmills were water-powered.

Photographed on 30 July 2003



Also see:   Amos Seaman's two churches




Amos Peck "King" Seaman

1788 – 1864

Tombstone

Minudie
Cumberland County
Nova Scotia

Located in Minudie Lake Cemetery


GPS location:   45°46'02"N   64°21'19"W
Google map




Minudie: road sign

Photographed on 30 July 2003



Minudie: Amos Peck Seaman tombstone
Amos Peck Seaman tombstone

Photographed on 30 July 2003

Digitally enhanced (below) to make the inscription more legible

Minudie: Amos Peck Seaman tombstone


Minudie: Amos Peck Seaman tombstone

Photographed on 30 July 2003



Minudie: Amos Peck Seaman tombstone

Photographed on 30 July 2003





Grindstone Tombstone

Minudie
Cumberland County
Nova Scotia

Located in Minudie Lake Cemetery


GPS location:   45°46'04"N   64°21'15"W
Google map




Grindstone tombstone at Minudie
This tombstone, made from a grindstone, shows the hole bored through each stone
to accomodate an axle.  When mounted on its axle, a grindstone could be turned
– usually at a rotational speed of about 40 to 80 revolutions per minute –
to do the grinding work required.

This grindstone has a ring of rust around the central hole,
showing that at one time it was mounted on an axle.

Photographed on 30 July 2003



Grindstone tombstone at Minudie
Grindstone tombstone at Minudie Lake Cemetery.  In the background, on the right,
can be seen some of the tombstones clustered around the Amos Seaman tombstone.

Photographed on 30 July 2003





Amos Peck Seaman

Interpretative Panels

Minudie
Cumberland County
Nova Scotia



Minudie: Amos Peck Seaman interpretative panel


Minudie: Amos Peck Seaman interpretative panel


Minudie: Amos Peck Seaman interpretative panel


Minudie: Amos Peck Seaman interpretative panel
These grindstones were often 6 feet [183 cm] in diameter
and 18 inches [45 cm] thick


Minudie: Amos Peck Seaman interpretative panel


Minudie: Amos Peck Seaman interpretative panel


Minudie: Amos Peck Seaman interpretative panel
"You are here" marks the location
of these interpretative panels

The above panel photographs were taken on 30 July 2003.






The Minudie Millionaire

The Wayback Machine has archived copies of this document:
The Minudie Millionaire
by Bill Hamilton

Sackville Tribune-Post, 13 September 2000

Archived: 2001 February 18
http://web.archive.org/web/20010218111154/http://www.tantramar.com/trib/2000/09/13/columns.html

Archived: 2002 September 11
http://web.archive.org/web/20020911021220/http://www.tantramar.com/trib/2000/09/13/columns.html

Archived: 2003 September 17
http://web.archive.org/web/20030917132040/http://www.tantramar.com/trib/2000/09/13/columns.html


These links were accessed and found to be valid
on 23 December 2007,  14 October 2013.






Links to Relevant Websites

The Minudie Millionaire by Bill Hamilton
Sackville Tribune-Post, 12 September 2000
...Amos Seaman's independent spirit was matched only by his ambition and
entrepreneurial drive.  In hiking about Minudie he noticed sandstone deposits
in the ledges along the coastline.  Others before him had quarried such stone
for local use, but it was Seaman who saw the potential for a new industry.
By 1810, in partnership with his brother Job, he began selling grindstones
in Boston.  From this point onward Amos Seaman never looked back...
        http://billhamiltonflashback.ca/listnews.php?id=64&cid=&searchtext=ceased&offset=0


King Seaman School Museum
by the Cumberland County Genealogical Society
...In the early 1840s Amos Seaman built a school for his children and those
of his tenants.  Amos was a zealot where education was concerned, having
lacked formal schooling himself.  After their marriage his wife Jane taught
him to read and write.  All their sons were sent to college and their
daughters to American finishing schools...
        http://web.archive.org/web/20111005044154/http://www.ccgs.ednet.ns.ca/cumb/minudie.htm


Minudie Interpretive Park by Fundy Shore Ecotour
...The sedimentary sandstone lay in layers on the basin bottom, and had been
cracked by natural processes into squares of even depth.  It was extracted by
rowing a barge into the basin at high tide, waiting for the tide to go down,
hooking ropes onto the squares, and allowing the tide to raise
both the barge and the sandstone...
        http://web.archive.org/web/20080928232915/http://www.fundyshoreecotour.ns.ca/tour_am07.htm


Lower Cove: Former Site of Booming Grindstone Quarry
...Grindstones were fashioned in a variety of weights and sizes. In 1875,
a stone produced in Lower Cove, Cumberland County, and shipped to Maine
was seven feet [213 cm] in diameter and weighed 8,000 pounds [3500 kg]...
        http://www.ccgsns.com/local-resources/news-articles-2/lower-cove-news-articles/


An Infant Railway: What the Iron Horse will do for the Joggins
Halifax Morning Herald, 3 November 1887
The opening of the Joggins Railway...
...there is the Minudie Branch of six miles...
        http://www.rocarchives.com/Articles/MorningHerald-JogginsRailway.htm


The History of Joggins
by CREDA: Cumberland Regional Economic Development Association
...The quarrying of grindstones from the great sandstone reefs along
the shore was a much valued industry for the Joggins area.  The
largest company to work this resource was the Atlantic Grindstone
Coal & Railway Company at the Lower Cove.  These quarries were
operated by Amos "King" Seaman and later by his son Gilbert
who at that time was one of the most powerful and wealthiest men
in Nova Scotia...
        http://web.archive.org/web/20070921230015/http://www.creda.net/~jfcliffs/history.htm


Joggins
by CREDA: Cumberland Regional Economic Development Association
...Learn about Minudie's history at the interpretive park or the
Amos Seaman Schoolhouse Museum, and catch glimpses of wildlife
through the trees.  The schoolhouse museum describes the history
of the granite quarry and recounts the of life of Minudie's most
celebrated citizen, Amos Seaman, the "Grindstone King"...
        http://web.archive.org/web/20071019201758/http://www.creda.net/~jfcliffs/communities.htm


St. Denis Church, Barronsfield Road, Minudie
Provincial Heritage Property Owners Assocation of Nova Scotia
By 1968 the population of Minudie had dwindled to such a degree
that the Church doors of St. Denis closed for regular mass.  In 1975
a committee was struck to restore the building.  In 1993, St. Denis
Church was designated a Heritage Property, and the Restoration Committee
of St. Denis started preserving this grand old church.  Today (2002)
the Blessing of the Crops Mass is still celebrated every year, on the
third Sunday in August.  There is a bake and harvest sale followed
by an afternoon Blessing of the Crops Mass....
        http://web.archive.org/web/20080929022517/http://www.nsheritageproperties.ca/maps/glooscap/Glooscap_files/StDenisChurch_129.html


Amos Seaman House, Minudie
Provincial Heritage Property Owners Assocation of Nova Scotia
Amos built his mansion in 1837.  The Homestead, also known
as Grindstone Castle, comprised of four huge rooms downstairs and
five bedrooms upstairs, as well as quarters for six servants.  The
house was always filled with guests from all corners of the world,
including Sir Charles Tupper and Joseph Howe...
        http://web.archive.org/web/20080929022512/http://www.nsheritageproperties.ca/maps/glooscap/Glooscap_files/AmosThomasSeamanHouse_131.html

Grindstone Castle, Minudie, 1875
Amos Seaman's mansion, a.k.a. Grindstone Castle, Minudie, 1875


200 Grindstones now in Sackville

In the mid-1980's, Mr. Herbert C. Read dismantled the Grindstone Museum
which he had put together in the "Carriage House" of the Marshlands Inn
in Sackville, New Brunswick, (the old family home – a Heritage Property) and
donated all its contents to the town of Sackville.  In January, 1999, these
articles were passed on to the Tantramar Heritage Trust, including about
200 beautiful grindstones which likely originated from the Stonehaven quarry...
Source: The White Fence the Tantramar Heritage Trust newsletter, March 1999
    http://heritage.tantramar.com/WFNewsletter_8.html


A Thriving Industry

In 1847 over 33,000 grindstones were shipped from Cumberland County...
Source: Secondary Processing of Industrial Minerals in Nova Scotia
        http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/meb/data/pubs/ic/ic53.pdf


Archived Business Records

The Public Archives of Nova Scotia has the business records of the
Minudie Mining and Transportation Company, 1867-1901 1.1 metres
MG 3 Vol.: 5077-5085


Grindstone Companies

On 10 May 1864, Major-General Hastings Doyle, Lieutenant-Governor of
Nova Scotia, gave Royal Assent to an Act for the Incorporation of the
South Joggins Freestone and Grindstone Quarrying Company
(owned by Amos Seaman).
Source: page 168 of Journal of Proceedings of Her Majesty's Legislative Council
of the province of Nova Scotia, 1864

CIHM 9_00947_38


Nova Scotia Legislature, 1873, chapter 55: — An Act to incorporate
the Minudie Mining and Transportation Company Limited


Seaman & Company of Lower Cove, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia,
exhibited grindstones at the International Exhibition of Philadelphia, 1876.
Source: page 7 of Catalog of Canadian Exhibitors in the Report of
the Canadian Commission at the International Exhibition of Philadelphia, 1876

CIHM 9_03761


Atlantic Grindstone, Coal & Railway Company Limited
Nova Scotia Legislature, 1906, chapter 155: — An Act to authorize
the amalgamation of Atlantic Grindstone, Coal & Railway Company with
Atlantic Grindstone Company and Fundy Coal Company.


Nova Scotia Legislature, 1887, chapter 63: — An Act to incorporate
the Minudie Railway Company Limited
Nova Scotia Legislature, 1888, chapter 80: — An Act to amend the Act to
incorporate the Minudie Railway Company Limited and to extend the line.
The following Dominion Acts also applied to this railway:
Dominion Parliament, 1887 chapter 24 —
Dominion Parliament, 1889 chapter  3 —
Dominion Parliament, 1894 chapter  4 —
Dominion Parliament, 1903 chapter 57 —


Nova Scotia Legislature, 1902, chapter 140: — An Act to incorporate
the Minudie Coal Company Limited
Amended 1905, chapter 137


Nova Scotia Legislature, 1903, chapter 190: — An Act to incorporate
the Minudie Coal Railway Company Limited


Reference

Nova Scotia Legislature, 1874, chapter 103: — An Act to authorize the sale
of certain trust property, Minudie Estate, Cumberland County


"Seaman Street," Halifax Sunday Herald, 21 September 2003






Amos "King" Seaman

The Wayback Machine has archived copies of this webpage:
Amos “King” Seaman
by the River Hebert, Joggins and area website

Archived: 2002 May 27
http://web.archive.org/web/20020527120924/http://nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/history1.htm

Archived: 2003 March 24
http://web.archive.org/web/20030324000254/http://nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/history1.htm

Archived: 2003 June 12
http://web.archive.org/web/20030612033517/http://nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/history1.htm

Archived: 2003 August 15
http://web.archive.org/web/20030815214716/http://nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/history1.htm

Archived: 2004 January 16
http://web.archive.org/web/20040116215404/nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/history1.htm


These links were accessed and found to be valid on 23 December 2007.




Amos Seaman School Museum

The Wayback Machine has archived copies of this webpage:
Amos Seaman School Museum
by the River Hebert, Joggins and area website

Archived: 2003 October 12
http://web.archive.org/web/20031012030215/http://nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/kingseaman1.htm

Archived: 2004 January 01
http://web.archive.org/web/20040101102107/http://www.nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/kingseaman1.htm

Archived: 2004 March 21
http://web.archive.org/web/20040321143221/http://www.nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/kingseaman1.htm

Archived: 2004 June 21
http://web.archive.org/web/20040621131952/http://www.nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/kingseaman1.htm

Archived: 2004 August 16
http://web.archive.org/web/20040816003043/http://www.nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/kingseaman1.htm


These links were accessed and found to be valid on 23 December 2007.






Photographs of War Memorials, Historic Monuments and Plaques in Nova Scotia
    http://ns1763.ca/remem/plaques.html



Amos Seaman's two churches Amos Seaman's two churches Minudie
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/minudie2c.html


Joggins war memorial Joggins war memorial Joggins
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/joggwarmem.html


Yorkshire Settlers plaque Yorkshire Settlers plaque River Philip
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/yorkshirem.html


Richmond war memorial Richmond war memorial Richmond
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/richmondmem.html


Wentworth Valley war memorial Wentworth Valley war memorial Wentworth
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/wentworthm.html


Cumberland County war memorial Cumberland County war memorial Amherst
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/cumberlandwar.html


North Nova Scotia Highlanders memorial mural North Nova Scotia Highlanders memorial mural Amherst
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/amhermural.html


E.B. Chandler plaque E.B. Chandler plaque Amherst
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/chandlerm.html


R.B. Dickey plaque R.B. Dickey plaque Amherst
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/dickeyrbm.html


J. McCully plaque J. McCully plaque Amherst
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/mccullyjm.html


Sir C. Tupper plaque Sir C. Tupper plaque Amherst
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/tuppercm.html


Fort Beausejour plaques Fort Beausejour plaques, 1755 Aulac
    http://ns1763.ca/sunco/fortbeausejour.html


Thomas Dixson, November 1776, plaque Thomas Dixson, November 1776, plaque Fort Cumberland
    http://ns1763.ca/sunco/dixson.html


Advocate Harbour: Oldest Settlements plaque Oldest Settlements plaque, 1607 Advocate Harbour
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/advocate-oldsett.html


Advocate Harbour: Sea in Our History display Sea in Our History display Advocate Harbour
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/advocate-seahist.html


Advocate Harbour war memorial Advocate Harbour war memorial Advocate Harbour
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/advocatewarm.html


Port Greville war memorial Port Greville war memorial Port Greville
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/greville.html


Diligent River historic monument Diligent River historic monument Diligent River
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/diligentriv.html


Diligent River: Confederation plaque Confederation Plaque Diligent River
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/confed-diligent.html


First Air Mail plaque First Air Mail plaque Parrsboro
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/parrairm.html


Maccan war memorial Maccan war memorial Maccan
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/maccanmem.html


Springhill: war memorial Springhill war memorial Springhill
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/sprhillwarm.html


Oxford war memorial Oxford war memorial Oxford
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/oxfordwarmem.html


Westchester Station war memorial Westchester Station war memorial Westchester Station
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/westchester.html


Go To:   Nova Scotia History, Chapter One
    http://newscotland1398.ca/hist/nshistory01.html

Go To:   Nova Scotia Historical Biographies
    http://newscotland1398.ca/hist/nshistory00.html#ns-historical-biog

Go To:   Proclamations: Land Grants in Nova Scotia 1757, '58, '59
    http://planter2010.ca/proc/proclamations-ndx.html

Go To:   Statutes of Nova Scotia, 1805, edited by Richard John Uniacke
    http://ns1763.ca/law/ns-statutes1805-titlepg.html

Go To:   Nova Scotia Quotations
    http://ns1758.ca/quote/quotes.html

Go To:   History of Electric Power Companies in Nova Scotia
    http://ns1758.ca/electric/electric.html

Go To:   History of Railway Companies in Nova Scotia
    http://ns1758.ca/rail/railways.html

Go To:   History of Telegraph and Telephone Companies in Nova Scotia
    http://ns1758.ca/tele/telephone.html

Go To:   History of Automobiles in Nova Scotia
    http://ns1758.ca/auto/automobiles.html

Go To:   Home Page
    http://ns1763.ca/index.html


  Hits per calendar month
       2013 Nov   474
       2013 Oct    48
       2013 Sep    42
       2013 Aug    36
       2013 Jul    50
       2013 Jun    80
       2013 May   116
       2013 Apr   418
       2013 Mar   681
       2013 Feb   136
       2013 Jan    48

       2012 Dec    19
       2012 Nov    15
       2012 Oct    19
       2012 Sep    28
       2012 Aug    27
       2012 Jul    22
       2012 Jun    50
       2012 May    61
       2012 Apr    29
       2012 Mar    29
       2012 Feb    22
       2012 Jan    28

       2011 Dec    30
       2011 Nov    32
       2011 Oct    29
       2011 Sep    19
       2011 Aug    47
       2011 Jul    38
       2011 Jun   304
       2011 May    82
       2011 Apr    89
       2011 Mar    31
       2011 Feb    42
       2011 Jan    64

       2010 Dec    44
       2010 Nov    51
       2010 Oct    58
       2010 Sep    69
       2010 Aug    50
       2010 Jul    50
       2010 Jun    40
       2010 May     -
       2010 Apr     -
       2010 Mar    53
       2010 Feb    53
       2010 Jan    31

       2009 Dec    47
       2009 Nov    39
       2009 Oct    60
       2009 Sep    34
       2009 Aug    33
       2009 Jul    30
       2009 Jun    33
       2009 May    35
       2009 Apr    66
       2009 Mar    45
       2009 Feb    50
       2009 Jan    36

       2008 Dec    27
       2008 Nov    55
       2008 Oct    56
       2008 Sep    69
       2008 Aug    43
       2008 Jul    61
       2008 Jun    81
       2008 May    68
       2008 Apr    60
       2008 Mar    55
       2008 Feb    56
       2008 Jan    66

       2007 Dec    57
       2007 Nov    23
       2007 Oct    46
       2007 Sep    60
       2007 Aug    31
       2007 Jul    45
       2007 Jun    64
       2007 May    50
       2007 Apr    65
       2007 Mar    42
       2007 Feb    40
       2007 Jan    41

       2006 Dec    13
       2006 Nov    17

First uploaded to the WWW:   2003 September 23
Added Google Map links:   2007 December 23
Latest update:   2013 December 21