A.P. "King" Seaman
Heritage Churches

St. Denis 1848
Universalist 1863


Minudie
Cumberland County
Nova Scotia



Minudie: Two heritage churches and school
Two heritage churches and a school, built by Amos Seaman, the "Grindstone King."

Photographed on 30 July 2003





St. Denis church
1848


GPS location:   45°46'32"N   64°20'59"W

St. Denis church, built by Amos Seaman, 1848


St. Denis church, built by Amos Seaman, 1848
Built 1848     Restored 1977


St. Denis church, built by Amos Seaman, 1848


The above photographs were taken on 30 July 2003.





King Seaman Universalist church
1863


GPS location:   45°46'32"N   64°20'53"W

King Seaman church, built 1863


King Seaman church, built 1863


King Seaman church, built 1863


The above photographs were taken on 30 July 2003.



Also see:   A.P. Seaman plaque and tombstone





The Minudie Millionaire

The Wayback Machine has archived copies of this document:
The Minudie Millionaire
by Bill Hamilton
Sackville Tribune-Post, 13 September 2000

Archived: 2001 February 18
http://web.archive.org/web/20010218111154/http://www.tantramar.com/trib/2000/09/13/columns.html

Archived: 2002 September 11
http://web.archive.org/web/20020911021220/http://www.tantramar.com/trib/2000/09/13/columns.html

Archived: 2003 September 17
http://web.archive.org/web/20030917132040/http://www.tantramar.com/trib/2000/09/13/columns.html


These links were accessed and found to be valid on 23 December 2007.






Links to Relevant Websites

The Minudie Millionaire by Bill Hamilton
Sackville Tribune-Post, 12 September 2000
    http://billhamiltonflashback.ca/listnews.php
          ?id=64&cid=&searchtext=ceased&offset=0


King Seaman School Museum
by the Cumberland County Genealogical Society
    http://www.ccgs.ednet.ns.ca/cumb/minudie.htm


Minudie Interpretive Park by Fundy Shore Ecotour
    http://www.fundyshoreecotour.ns.ca/tour_am07.htm


Lower Cove: Former Site of Booming Grindstone Quarry
...Grindstones were fashioned in a variety of weights and sizes. In 1875,
a stone produced in Lower Cove, Cumberland County, and shipped to Maine
was seven feet [213 cm] in diameter and weighed 8,000 pounds [3500 kg]...
    http://www.ccgs.ednet.ns.ca/cumb/l_cove.htm


An Infant Railway: What the Iron Horse will do for the Joggins
Halifax Morning Herald, 3 November 1887
The opening of the Joggins Railway...
...there is the Minudie Branch of six miles...
    http://www.geocities.com/dblegere/rail.html


The History of Joggins
by CREDA: Cumberland Regional Economic Development Association
...The quarrying of grindstones from the great sandstone reefs along
the shore was a much valued industry for the Joggins area.  The
largest company to work this resource was the Atlantic Grindstone
Coal & Railway Company at the Lower Cove.  These quarries were
operated by Amos "King" Seaman and later by his son Gilbert
who at that time was one of the most powerful and wealthiest men
in Nova Scotia...
    http://www.creda.net/~jfcliffs/history.htm


Joggins
by CREDA: Cumberland Regional Economic Development Association
...Learn about Minudie's history at the interpretive park or the
Amos Seaman Schoolhouse Museum, and catch glimpses of wildlife
through the trees.  The schoolhouse museum describes the history
of the granite quarry and recounts the of life of Minudie's most
celebrated citizen, Amos Seaman, the "Grindstone King"...
    http://www.creda.net/~jfcliffs/communities.htm


St. Denis Church, Barronsfield Road, Minudie
Provincial Heritage Property Owners Assocation of Nova Scotia
By 1968 the population of Minudie had dwindled to such a degree
that the Church doors of St. Denis closed for regular mass.  In 1975
a committee was struck to restore the building.  In 1993, St. Denis
Church was designated a Heritage Property, and the Restoration Committee
of St. Denis started preserving this grand old church.  Today (2002)
the Blessing of the Crops Mass is still celebrated every year, on the
third Sunday in August.  There is a bake and harvest sale followed
by an afternoon Blessing of the Crops Mass....
    http://www.nsheritageproperties.ca/maps/glooscap/
          Glooscap_files/StDenisChurch_129.html


Amos Seaman House, Minudie
Provincial Heritage Property Owners Assocation of Nova Scotia
Amos built his mansion in 1837.  The Homestead, also known
as Grindstone Castle, comprised of four huge rooms downstairs and
five bedrooms upstairs, as well as quarters for six servants.  The
house was always filled with guests from all corners of the world,
including Sir Charles Tupper and Joseph Howe...
    http://www.nsheritageproperties.ca/maps/glooscap/
          Glooscap_files/AmosThomasSeamanHouse_131.html

Grindstone Castle, Minudie, 1875
Amos Seaman's mansion, a.k.a. Grindstone Castle, Minudie, 1875


200 Grindstones now in Sackville

In the mid-1980's, Mr. Herbert C. Read dismantled the Grindstone Museum
which he had put together in the "Carriage House" of the Marshlands Inn
in Sackville, New Brunswick, (the old family home – a Heritage Property) and
donated all its contents to the town of Sackville.  In January, 1999, these
articles were passed on to the Tantramar Heritage Trust, including about
200 beautiful grindstones which likely originated from the Stonehaven quarry...
Source: The White Fence the Tantramar Heritage Trust newsletter, March 1999
    http://heritage.tantramar.com/WFNewsletter_8.html


A Thriving Industry

In 1847 over 33,000 grindstones were shipped from Cumberland County...
Source: Secondary Processing of Industrial Minerals in Nova Scotia
    http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/meb/ic/ic53.htm


Archived Business Records

The Public Archives of Nova Scotia has the business records of the
Minudie Mining and Transportation Company, 1867-1901 1.1 metres
MG 3 Vol.: 5077-5085


Grindstone Companies

On 10 May 1864, Major-General Hastings Doyle, Lieutenant-Governor of
Nova Scotia, gave Royal Assent to an Act for the Incorporation of the
South Joggins Freestone and Grindstone Quarrying Company
(owned by Amos Seaman).
Source: page 168 of Journal of Proceedings of Her Majesty's Legislative Council
of the province of Nova Scotia, 1864

CIHM 9_00947_38


Nova Scotia Legislature, 1873, chapter 55: — An Act to incorporate
the Minudie Mining and Transportation Company Limited


Seaman & Company of Lower Cove, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia,
exhibited grindstones at the International Exhibition of Philadelphia, 1876.
Source: page 7 of Catalog of Canadian Exhibitors in the Report of
the Canadian Commission at the International Exhibition of Philadelphia, 1876

CIHM 9_03761


Atlantic Grindstone, Coal & Railway Company Limited
Nova Scotia Legislature, 1906, chapter 155: — An Act to authorize
the amalgamation of Atlantic Grindstone, Coal & Railway Company with
Atlantic Grindstone Company and Fundy Coal Company.


Nova Scotia Legislature, 1887, chapter 63: — An Act to incorporate
the Minudie Railway Company Limited
Nova Scotia Legislature, 1888, chapter 80: — An Act to amend the Act to
incorporate the Minudie Railway Company Limited and to extend the line.
The following Dominion Acts also applied to this railway:
Dominion Parliament, 1887 chapter 24 —
Dominion Parliament, 1889 chapter  3 —
Dominion Parliament, 1894 chapter  4 —
Dominion Parliament, 1903 chapter 57 —


Nova Scotia Legislature, 1902, chapter 140: — An Act to incorporate
the Minudie Coal Company Limited
Amended 1905, chapter 137


Nova Scotia Legislature, 1903, chapter 190: — An Act to incorporate
the Minudie Coal Railway Company Limited


Reference

Nova Scotia Legislature, 1874, chapter 103: — An Act to authorize the sale
of certain trust property, Minudie Estate, Cumberland County


"Seaman Street," Halifax Sunday Herald, 21 September 2003






Amos "King" Seaman

The Wayback Machine has archived copies of this webpage:
Amos "King" Seaman
by the River Hebert, Joggins and area website

Archived: 2002 May 27
http://web.archive.org/web/20020527120924/http://nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/history1.htm

Archived: 2003 March 24
http://web.archive.org/web/20030324000254/http://nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/history1.htm

Archived: 2003 June 12
http://web.archive.org/web/20030612033517/http://nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/history1.htm

Archived: 2003 August 15
http://web.archive.org/web/20030815214716/http://nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/history1.htm

Archived: 2004 January 16
http://web.archive.org/web/20040116215404/nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/history1.htm


These links were accessed and found to be valid on 23 December 2007.




Amos Seaman School Museum

The Wayback Machine has archived copies of this webpage:
Amos Seaman School Museum
by the River Hebert, Joggins and area website

Archived: 2003 October 12
http://web.archive.org/web/20031012030215/http://nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/kingseaman1.htm

Archived: 2004 January 01
http://web.archive.org/web/20040101102107/http://www.nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/kingseaman1.htm

Archived: 2004 March 21
http://web.archive.org/web/20040321143221/http://www.nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/kingseaman1.htm

Archived: 2004 June 21
http://web.archive.org/web/20040621131952/http://www.nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/kingseaman1.htm

Archived: 2004 August 16
http://web.archive.org/web/20040816003043/http://www.nsaccess.ns.ca/Capsites/RiverHebertCAP/kingseaman1.htm


These links were accessed and found to be valid on 23 December 2007.



The Virtual Museum of Canada has assembled an impressive collection of
historical material about King Seaman, his grindstone business, and his
many other interests and accomplishments.  This material, comprising more
than 200 items including old photographs and other documents, has been
digitized and posted online.  Normally, I would include a link here to direct
interested viewers to the Virtual Museum's material about King Seaman of
Minudie, Nova Scotia.  Unfortunately, the Virtual Museum website is badly
designed, with several significant deficiencies.  The worst design deficiency
is the navigation – baffling, obscure, enigmatic, unfathomable.  The internal
search is next to useless.  A link to the Virtual Museum of Canada will lead to
frustration, not to enlightenment.  For that reason, no link to it appears here.
ICS   28 December 2007





Photographs of War Memorials, Historic Monuments and Plaques in Nova Scotia
    http://ns1763.ca/remem/plaques.html



A.P. Seaman plaque and tombstone A.P. Seaman plaque and tombstone Minudie
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/seamanmon.html


Joggins war memorial Joggins war memorial Joggins
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/joggwarmem.html


Yorkshire Settlers plaque Yorkshire Settlers plaque River Philip
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/yorkshirem.html


Richmond war memorial Richmond war memorial Richmond
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/richmondmem.html


Wentworth Valley war memorial Wentworth Valley war memorial Wentworth
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/wentworthm.html


Cumberland County war memorial Cumberland County war memorial Amherst
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/cumberlandwar.html


North Nova Scotia Highlanders memorial mural North Nova Scotia Highlanders memorial mural Amherst
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/amhermural.html


E.B. Chandler plaque E.B. Chandler plaque Amherst
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/chandlerm.html


R.B. Dickey plaque R.B. Dickey plaque Amherst
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/dickeyrbm.html


J. McCully plaque J. McCully plaque Amherst
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/mccullyjm.html


Sir C. Tupper plaque Sir C. Tupper plaque Amherst
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/tuppercm.html


Thomas Dixson, November 1776, plaque Thomas Dixson, November 1776, plaque Fort Cumberland
    http://ns1763.ca/sunco/dixson.html


Fort Beausejour plaques Fort Beausejour plaques, 1755 Aulac
    http://ns1763.ca/sunco/fortbeausejour.html


Maccan war memorial Maccan war memorial Maccan
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/maccanmem.html


Springhill war memorial Springhill war memorial Springhill
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/sprhillwarm.html


Oxford war memorial Oxford war memorial Oxford
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/oxfordwarmem.html


Westchester Station war memorial Westchester Station war memorial Westchester Station
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/westchester.html


First Air Mail plaque First Air Mail plaque Parrsboro
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/parrairm.html


Diligent River historic monument Diligent River historic monument Diligent River
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/diligentriv.html


Diligent River: Confederation plaque Confederation Plaque Diligent River
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/confed-diligent.html


Port Greville war memorial Port Greville war memorial Port Greville
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/greville.html


Advocate Harbour war memorial Advocate Harbour war memorial Advocate Harbour
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/advocatewarm.html


Advocate Harbour: Oldest Settlements plaque Oldest Settlements plaque, 1607 Advocate Harbour
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/advocate-oldsett.html


Advocate Harbour: Sea in Our History display Sea in Our History display Advocate Harbour
    http://ns1763.ca/cumberco/advocate-seahist.html


Go To:   Nova Scotia History, Chapter One
    http://newscotland1398.ca/hist/nshistory01.html

Go To:   Nova Scotia Historical Biographies
    http://newscotland1398.ca/hist/nshistory00.html#ns-historical-biog

Go To:   Proclamations: Land Grants in Nova Scotia 1757, '58, '59
    http://planter2010.ca/proc/proclamations-ndx.html

Go To:   Statutes of Nova Scotia, 1805, edited by Richard John Uniacke
    http://ns1763.ca/law/ns-statutes1805-titlepg.html

Go To:   Nova Scotia Quotations
    http://ns1758.ca/quote/quotes.html

Go To:   History of Electric Power Companies in Nova Scotia
    http://ns1758.ca/electric/electric.html

Go To:   History of Railway Companies in Nova Scotia
    http://ns1758.ca/rail/railways.html

Go To:   History of Telegraph and Telephone Companies in Nova Scotia
    http://ns1758.ca/tele/telephone.html

Go To:   History of Automobiles in Nova Scotia
    http://ns1758.ca/auto/automobiles.html

Go To:   Home Page
    http://ns1763.ca/index.html



First uploaded to the Internet:   2003 September 24